Friday, January 4, 2008

Wear a jacket

Today is dress-down Friday. It is time to be laid-back and comfy.

I wore a UNICEF shirt, cool Memo pants, Bench military belt, and a pair of Gola sneekers. I was asked to do a TV interview for Studio 23's News Central about UNICEF's partnership with Starbucks. Starbucks launched in 2005 the SparkHope project helping nine day care centers in very far Philippine villages. My colleagues required me to wear a UNICEF shirt.

Friday, UNICEF shirt, and casual wear sounded really fine. But my fashion guru, my wife Aires remarked early in the morning: "Wear a jacket." My guards were up instantly. I needed the UNICEF shirt for branding purposes on the nightly TV news. So why would I wear a darn jacket? "Wear a jacket," she repeated. "I don't need one" was my retort.

But why did she insist for me to wear one? My guards were up because "Wear a jacket" may mean "Hey, dude, hide your flabs." "Wear a jacket" equals "Cover your imperfection." I admit I was a bit irritated.

On my way out of the house, Aires asked: "Why are you grouchy?" I said I was not.

In my office, I saw my vintage "Vietnam War" inspired jacket, the one she gave for my birthday. One look at this earthy-colored jacket, I was grouchy no more. "Wear a jacket" may also mean "Cover yourself with my love." Aires once said: "You look cool in this jacket." And so I wore my vintage "Vietnam War"-inspired jacket, felt Aires' love, and went to my interview.

I took off the jacket when the interview started, and rattled on about coffee, planners, and day care children. I wore it once again after the interview ended.

Friday, UNICEF shirt, and a vintage jacket to make me look cool. And a really cool Starbucks 2008 planner. How can it go wrong?

No comments: