Tuesday, January 22, 2008

All bark, no bite

I miss having a dog. I had a trustworthy one when I was in my teens. Her name was Bubbles. She was the ultimate poster dog, fluffy, white, and adorable. Bubbles died in 1993 and left her genes to a new generation of fluffy, white, adorable pet canine. Bubbles' puppies all became reliable watch dogs. They were sentinels, keeping guard--- day and night.

Theorists use dogs as a metaphor for mass media. Media perform the function of a watch dog. But who's watching over media is an entirely different animal. In the past months, the two media giants made television their fight cage --- they growled at each other, barking ferociously. What a dog fight it has been! The ratings war has taken a totally different meaning.

But like many of their soap operas, the drama has gotten so sickeningly spoilt. So what do you do when you see two dogs fighting? Keep a safe distance.

I do miss my dog Bubbles.

No comments: