Saturday, March 15, 2008

Believing in young men and women

“How are you, young man?”

Today I pay tribute to a man of wisdom, to a man who for the past four years have called me “Young Man”. He would offer his outstretched arm and give me a firm handshake and ask “How are you, young man?” But never with a hint of disdain or lack of confidence.

My age has never been an issue with him. He gave me tasks that demanded immediate action. He sent me to very challenging assignments. He straightened me out when I needed one. He gave me a pat on the back when deserving.

Dr. Nicholas Alipui became UNICEF Philippines’ country representative in 2003. He came from a very successful tour of duty in Kenya where he brought free education to children. In the Philippines, he became the voice of breastfeeding.

He was the voice of children and young people.

Dr. Nick was recently appointed as the Director of the Programme Division of UNICEF in New York. He assumed the think-tank post. He would help set the direction of UNICEF globally.

He will have his hands full. He will have a lot on his plate. But he will surely make a mark as our new global Programme Director. I will always remember him as the leader who believes in young men and women.

No comments: