Friday, March 7, 2008

A world of possibilities

Today, I see a world of possibilities.

It’s possible for a child from a rebel village to go to college. It’s possible for just one health worker to help wipe out measles in three barangays. It’s possible for the Kabihugs to work in farms without being exploited. It’s possible for a girl victim of incest to deal with the trauma and carve out a safer tomorrow. It’s possible for a child offender to have a second chance.

Seeing possibilities, instead of impossibilities, is one of the most important lessons I learnt as a member and program coordinator of the PETA Metropolitan Teen Theater League (MTTL) --- a group of young high school and college theater artists.

I was young, unafraid and determined. My youthfulness was not a limitation. It was a possibility.

I was only 16 when I committed to work as a young artist-teacher for high school students. I was also tasked to guide an urban poor community theater group called Tanghalang Batingaw in Bagong Barrio in Caloocan City.

I was only 20 when I became MTTL program coordinator. I taught English at a private high school in the mornings. In the afternoons, I would visit other schools talking to school principals, drama teachers, and theater guilds.

The 1990s was a time of uncertainty for the MTTL. There was little funding. Many schools that were active in the 80s dropped out from the league. But when two Palanca-winning plays, “Ambon ng Kristal”, and “June at Johnny” were staged for MTTL’s new batch of core group members, the league had its second wind. There was no turning back then.

It became possible for young theater enthusiasts to have their own brand of creative arts. To this day, the MTTL remains as PETA’s instrument in upholding the right of young people to participate critically in decision-making. PETA-MTTL offered young artists like me then the possibility to become a genuine “artista ng bayan.”

I am no longer very active with PETA. But I am not giving it up. I still see another round of possibilities for me to find my roots again and re-live my younger PETA days.

1 comment:

JonathaNachor said...

kumusta na sir nilo? jonathan 2. dating umarte na dennis sa ambon ng kristal sa colegio de san agustin... pasaway na artista modahil di tinapos ang kontrata... nagkita kami ni sir rb andres nuing umatendf ako ng children's festival. nakita din po kita... nasa unesco ka na pala... i'm teaching here in st. anthony school... english coordinator na rin po... i finished my master of education in drama education and theater arts sa pnu... pero kahit ganito na po tayo... naaalala ko pa rin yung maigsing oras na pinagsamahan natin sa peta...