Friday, July 17, 2009

365 nights of Tatay-hood

One year ago, a very preggy Aires and I went to watch "Boses", a gem of a film by Ellen Ongkeko. We did not finish the film because Aires felt wuzzy. One week later, she would give birth to Heaven.

We took the risk of watching the film because we thought we had four more weeks to go before Heaven's arrival. We thought we passed all the tests and survived all the gruelling alarms. But no. Heaven could not wait four more weeks. He simply had to be born.

Next week, Heaven will be one year old. To say that this is a milestone is an understatement. He is truly a miracle, a gift from above.

Everyday, we can't wait to see what new tricks he has for us. He seems to be taking more of Aires' traits --- strong-willed, determined, smart. His Nanay claims, after all, that babies get 70% of their mothers' genes. But his charming demeanor, I dare say, is from his Tatay.

Even if he wakes us up at 5 am with his gibberish and blabber, I cannot help but be charmed by his early morning antics. He does his few standard stretches and rolls over me, commanding me to pick him up and start his day rolling. I get to put him to sleep --- not my favorite time with him because he gets most irascible just before he goes to lala-land. But his charm simply wins me over when he flashes a smile even with his eyes closed. As if saying: "Thanks, Tatay. Good night."

Who would have known that a night a year ago at the movies would set a year-long feel-good evenings with a rare gem that is Heaven?

No comments: