Sunday, August 2, 2009

A party for Heaven

After Heaven was born, I started planning for his first birthday party. I wanted to give him a party to top all first birthday parties. The eventologist in me began designing games and tricks that have never been tried before. It would be a blast for children and adults as well.

But GFC (global financial crisis) burst my revelry bubble. And much to my chagrin, I had to let go of my grandiose party for Heaven. Aires and I agreed that we would just have a simple celebration with our immediate relatives.

And so we did not plan for Heaven’s birthday.

But as Heaven’s birthday loomed nearer, we felt that we needed to share this celebration with friends and loved-ones who all became our prayer warriors during the pregnancy. We opted for a simple celebration but had to hold two parties in one day --- for friends in the morning and for relatives in the afternoon.

I had to let go of the desire to make a perfect birthday party. I just let Kenny Roger’s Restaurant’s party team run the show. It was still a blast. Birthday parties after all are not only about the games and the tricks and the party loot bags. They are about celebrating friendships and relationships. They are about celebrating the first year in a child’s life and being reminded that we have done everything to make sure that the child survives and reach his or her potential.

And so I wish my son a happy birthday. And to all our friends and loved-ones, a very warm “Thank you very much.”

P.S. I am still planning for that one big memorable party.

No comments: