Monday, July 15, 2013

Heaven's angels

Skye would have been seven months today.

Heaven and I passed by the memorial park to leave a pot of fresh flowers. I challenged Heaven to look for Skye's tombstone.

Heaven said: "That's easy. I will just look for the one with two angels."

I am amazed at Heaven's retentive memory. He boasted one time that he is good at remembering things.

After we laid Skye to rest, we had a tombstone prepared to include both Skye and her grandfather, Lolo Cesar. For Skye, her epitaph reads: "A blessing you were. An angel you are. Beloved forever you will be." An image of two angels was also carved on the stone.

On a tombstone with letters and numbers, Heaven remembers the angels. That's exactly how we should remember our dearly departed. We remember the best and most fascinating things about them.

So, on Skye's seventh month celebration, I remember the many times she slept soundly on my chest. I remember hearing her coo. I remember the first night she spent at home with us, how she looked like in her crib, and how a reading of 99 on her pulse-oximeter meant that she was doing well.

And then you realize and accept that even if today would have been her seventh month, she is now doing well in a place where she can sleep soundly, coo all she wants, and spend her nights watching over us.

No comments: