Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Smile


I went to work early. I was doing my morning office rituals (switch on computer, keep stuff tidy, check to-do list for the day) when Chris passed by my door and greeted me: "Good morning, Sir!"

Chris is a messenger for our fundraising unit. He is assigned to us by an external message service outfit. He is genial, always ready with a greeting and a smile.

As Chris vanished from view, I could not help but notice how unusually sunny his smile was.

Fastforward to the end of the day. I learnt that it was Chris' birthday. My colleagues from our fundraising team were waiting for Chris to return from his daily rounds to spring a birthday surprise.

On my way home, I bumped into Chris and greeted him a Happy Birthday. He smiled bashfully this time. I did not get to see how the surprise treat turned out.

But I hope that when Chris went to sleep, he would still have that smile on his face, knowing how important he is to us.

No comments: